PURPOSES AND GOALS OF MY PROGRAM OF STUDY
NOTE: If you read the earlier section "In Brief," you have already read this; skip ahead to PART 2.
1. Experience the Power of Thinking and Learning to Guide Your Life
- Education has the power to transform our lives profoundly. It gives us the capacity to evaluate and refashion our goals, become more able masters of the ship, and better steer the course of our life. I want students to experience how thinking and learning can make them more powerful, independent, and free, and help them to take charge of their lives more fully.
2. Develop to a High Degree the Foundational Skills of Learning
- My program of study is designed to teach students the key foundational skills of learning, including the processes of inquiry, critical thinking, close reading, effective writing, and disciplined discussion. Students will study topics in the humanities broadly, from multiple points of view, and in depth so they develop an understanding of how to conduct a thorough investigation of any topic. They will be challenged to gain a firm grasp of these fundamentals so that they can employ them confidently for the rest of their lives.
3. Deepen and Broaden Student Understanding of the Humanities and the Human Experience
- The topics we explore are designed to deepen and broaden the student’s understanding of the humanities. Because topics are studied in depth, we seek to add a rich array of sub-topics and points of view to the students’ base of knowledge. Students will investigate significant questions about the rich and profound story of the human experience.
4. Inspire Enthusiasm and Passion for Learning in an Engaging and Enjoyable Learning Community
- My program seeks to make learning active, engaging, and enjoyable, and to foster a learning environment that is supportive and has a strong sense of community. Our classroom strives to inspire students and foster a passion for learning by asking essential, meaningful questions and working diligently for answers.